Wednesday, June 2, 2010

mewithoutYou

They make me want to believe in God.
Over a period of time these guys have become one of my favourite bands of all time. Musically, they began as a Post Hardcore band a cut above the rest. Strong, powerful and angry, as clear through singer Aaron Weiss's lyrics and vocals on their first album [A→B] Life. 
Their next album Catch For Us the Foxes showed them progress to a more experimental stage, combining elements of Alternative Rock and Indie with overall better and more creative instrumentation. Although it was less 'Hardcore' it still retained much fury behind the lyrics and vocal style, however there were spots of a more mellow (and also a more Christian) Aaron. 
Then came the peak of their career in my opinion. Brother, Sister is and always will be one of my favourite albums. More experimental than Catch For Us the Foxes, but also more passionate and intelligent. Mostly an Indie album, it created a beautiful atmosphere with peaks of brilliance in songs such as Wolf Am I! (And Shadow) and O, Porcupine. They also used more instruments such as Trumpets, Accordion and Harps. 
Their latest album It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All A Dream! It's Alright in my opinion is their worst, but it's still miles ahead of most other Indie bands of today. This time they practically threw out any anger and instead made a happy-go-lucky Folk/Indie album. Still enjoyable, but for me it's lost a bit of their spark.

All in all, a top band for any fans of Indie or more experimental types of Post Hardcore. I'd recommend listening to their discography in order, as seeing their progression will give you a whole lot of respect for them as musicians.

[A→B] Life (2002)
Catch For Us the Foxes (2004)
Brother, Sister (2006)
It's All Crazy! It's All False! It's All A Dream! It's Alright (2009)

I should have said more about the other musicians since they're all amazing, but I can't help it if I'm an Aaron Weiss fanboy.

No comments:

Post a Comment