Friday, July 2, 2010

Deathconsciousness

Since my last few blogs have been about bands that I think are pretty good but not amazing, I thought I'd do a blog about one of my favourite albums of all time.
Have A Nice Life - Deathconsciousness

One thing people need to know about me is my love for 2 things in music: Epic finishes to songs/albums and Major Third progressions. I'm not sure what it is about the Major Third progression but the interval is just so fucking good that every time I hear a song with it in it, I go nuts. Anyway, this brings me to how I first heard this album. My mate showed me the last song Earthmover which ticks both boxes for me: Massive Major Third progression to finish the album in the most epic way imaginable. As soon as I heard it I was compelled to hear the entire thing. On first listen, I thought it was really solid and good to chill out to. Sure there were moments that got pretty heavy but for the most part, it was a relaxing album. Over time, I started hearing new things with each listen, small things that seemed insignificant at first. Before I knew it, I was in love. Deep, Deep love (no pun intended, although by saying this it's pretty clear that it was intended). Every song was so appropriate in the mix of the album, leaving no moments of boredom. At times I could just sit there relaxing and soaking up the dreamy atmospheres created, and at other times I couldn't help but bop my head or stamp my feet to the beat. I've never had so much chills in my body from one single album. Basically, I had found an album that had songs for every mood I could possibly be in, and in turn had found one of the most amazing albums I had ever heard.

Basically this description I've given you doesn't really tell you anything about the album, other than the fact that I kiss it's arse every day. But in all seriousness, I really struggle to describe this album technically. The only thing I could thing to do is tell you how it makes me feel, so hopefully that is enough to make you want to hear it. Genre-wise, Have A Nice Life have stated that they make "Depressive Post-Industrial Doomgaze" music, which sums it up pretty accurately. Pretty much you just need to hear it for yourself, I guarantee you will not be disappointed.


To give you some reference as to how much I am obsessed with this album, track 3 is called The Big Gloom. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment